Date: 20 April 2019
Location: Taman Tugu
“Bumi yang tiada rimba seumpama hamba.”
We celebrated Mother Nature today in conjunction with Earth Day 2019! More than 1,000 people from various walks of life commemorated this special day with us.
Earth Day is an international annual event usually celebrated on 22nd April to demonstrate support for environmental protection. The history of this annual event can be traced back to the 1970s, as a platform to highlight the importance of reducing industrial pollution, as well as increasing the level of environmental protection. Earth Day is now celebrated in more than 193 countries by more than 1 billion people.
Earth Day is a reminder for people to think about humanity’s values, the threats the planet faces, and ways to help protect the environment.
With the same objectives, Taman Tugu Earth Day was open to the public with hopes to drive better awareness around conservation and preservation of our forests and public green spaces. During the event which was from 7am – 12pm, members of the public had the opportunity to participate in activities such as Guided Forest Trail Walks, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT 101), and Zumba.
Activity booths were also set up by our partners Free Tree Society (FTS), Global Environment Centre (GEC), Malaysian Nature Society (MNS), and Jabatan Alam Sekitar (JAS) where members of the public had the opportunity to learn more about environmental conservation and preservation, and got their hands dirty by planting, building wildlife habitats, testing water quality, and learning to recycle, reuse, and reduce.
Other than joining the sessions, guests had the chance to spend time and watch performances in a forest setting. There were performances by:
- Ayawan – Perak-born nature musician, also known as Ayawan Musafir Singgah, played his harmonious tune on the bamboo flute
- Students from SK Section 13 – primary school students played the traditional Angklung instrument
- Dato’ Zainal Abidin and Michael Veerapen – the popular ‘Hijau’ star and the jazz pianist teamed up and got the crowd going with the evergreen ‘Hijau’ and the folk song, ‘Suriram’
- Farah Nadeera – an up and rising star who belted out ‘Setia’, members of the public sang along with her
Not leaving out our Malaysia Truly Asia culture, there was an array of food available for the crowd to enjoy.
The celebration was further made memorable by the presence of YAB Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed, Prime Minister of Malaysia and his wife, YABhg. Tun Dr. Siti Hasmah, and the following senior government officials:
- YB Dato’ Seri Mohamed Azmin Ali, Minister of Economic Affairs,
- YB Dr. Xavier Jayakumar, Minister of Water, Land and Natural Resources and his wife, Madam Sheila,
- YB Tuan Khalid Abdul Samad, Minister of Federal Territories,
- YB Puan Yeo Bee Yin, Minister of Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change (MESTECC),
- YB Puan Hannah Yeoh, Deputy Minister of Women, Family and Community Development, and Member of Parliament for the constituency of Segambut, and
- Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan, Mayor of Kuala Lumpur/ Datuk Bandar Kuala Lumpur.
During his visit, YAB Tun Dr. Mahathir shared a few words on balancing the green with physical development. He proclaimed the Earth Day message is very clear: At a time of developing the country, one should not forget the importance of retaining and preserving the environment.
“….we can only achieve such a status if we are able to balance the nation’s physical development with the preservation of the environment and its greenery,”
YAB Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed further reinstated the message by planting the indigenous Tualang tree with YABhg. Tun Dr. Siti Hasmah, and children from Kelab Pencinta Alam, SK Subang Bestari 2.
YABhg. Tun Dr. Siti Hasmah had a little moment where she sang ‘Hijau’ with Dato’ Zainal Abidin, which delighted the crowd. Dato’ Zainal Abidin also sang one of the Prime Minister’s favourite songs, ‘Suriram’.
The excitement ended with a Zumba session and a guided forest trail walk, signaling the end of Taman Tugu Earth Day.
We would like to thank all of you for commemorating Taman Tugu Earth Day with us and all our participating partners, FTS, GEC, MNS, JAS, vendors, volunteers, Master of Ceremony, Rashid Salleh, and performers for making this a successful event. We would also like to thank Etiqa Insurance & Takaful for sponsoring Dato’ Zainal Abidin’s and Michael Veerapen’s performance, and Forest House Sdn. Bhd. for sponsoring the satays by Satay Troopers.
We are extremely grateful to YAB Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamed, YABhg. Tun Dr. Siti Hasmah, YB Ministers, and the Mayor for celebrating Earth Day together with us.